Pages

Friday 25 February 2011

Liz Earle

In the first of a new series of info blogs from the VQ stores we turn to Jo from the Liz Earle Beauty Company to give us some all important tips to rejuvinate your skin after our long winter.

Jo
Spring Clean Your Skin

As the winter can leave skin looking dull and lacklustre, I embrace the build-up to spring with great enthusiasm and positivity. Just the thought of daffodil buds emerging in all their golden glory inspires me to clear out my clutter and spring clean my skin.
Once a week I indulge in ‘Skin Sunday’, when I book a 30 minute session in my bathroom to prepare for the busy week ahead.  My husband knows that when I close the bathroom door and the scent of Orange Flower Body Wash starts to waft throughout our home that I am not to be disturbed!
To start my relaxation, I light a Vital Oils Candle, plug in my iPod and strategically place a stand-up mirror on the edge of the bath. Then I blissfully lower my aching body into a warm bath and I’m ready to say ‘hello’ to some faithful skincare friends.  As I reach for Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser, Gentle Face Exfoliator and Deep Cleansing Mask (with Spot-On always on standby for any skin emergencies) the time has come to reward my skin with a mini facial.
So I urge you to start your very own Skin Sunday once a week, or any day of the week for that matter, and if you’re home alone, even better.  It’s time to liberate your skin!

Skin Sunday tool kit
To treat yourself, you will need to prepare the following…

A warm bath:
Light your candle (be sure to position it safely) and place a splash of body wash under the running tap. Using this in the bath, as well as washing with it, provides extra comfort and hydration.  If you have a shower instead, follow steps 2 and 3 and then relax with your mask on for 10 minutes.

Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare:
Close the bathroom door (or turn off your phone if you’re home alone):
serenity is key for a clear and calm mind, which has positive effects on your skin.

Music:
play some gentle, calming music, or relax in silence if you prefer.


Step 1: Cleanse
Due to our body systems slowing down in the winter months, excess dead cells can be more visible, causing a dull, grey appearance.  After using Cleanse & Polish, eliminate unwanted cells by gently massaging one pump of Gentle Face Exfoliator over face and neck for one to two minutes (or until the scrub has started to gather together on your skin).  The divine cocoa butter and beeswax soften skin, as the fine jojoba beads (like gentle pearls) exfoliate and brighten.  This also prepares a clean canvas for your treatment masks.
Beauty therapist tip: If your skin is sensitive, you can add one pump of Cleanse & Polish to Gentle Face Exfoliator to make the formulation more creamy and comforting.  To remove, either rinse off or use a damp muslin cloth.

Step 2: Purify
Immediately after exfoliation, apply Deep Cleansing Mask over face and neck and leave for up to 10 minutes (see my guide to skin types below). If you have any excess oil or breakouts, the purifying green clay will reduce impurities, while soothing manuka honey and protective propolis spring clean and balance.
This clever gentle mask soothes as it deeply cleanses so it is suitable for all skin types.
I would recommend the following applications, based on your skin type: 
Oily Skin: Use two to three times a week for 10 minutes
Normal/Combination: Use twice a week for five minutes
Dry/Mature: Use once a week for five minutes if skin is congested
Sensitive: Use once a week and mix with Intensive Nourishing Mask to provide comfort for two to five minutes
Beauty therapist tip: To remove your mask, massage or spritz a generous amount of Instant Boost Skin Tonic over face and neck. This will soften the mask and allow easier removal, while toning your skin – and will instantly calm and give radiance.


Step 3: BalanceTo finally banish any skin nasties apply Spot-On before your moisturiser.  This handy applicator comes as a roller-ball, so you can effortlessly glide over spots without irritating skin. Naturally active ingredients get to work on your skin with antiseptic tea tree, soothing melissa and calming lavender.  Keep this in your handbag, so you can apply it once or twice a day.
Beauty therapist tip: If you have sore or split cuticles, apply Spot-On around your nail bed to prevent infections.
I do hope you enjoy my tips, and please let me know how you get on.  Here’s to wonderful skin with a spring in its step!